In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godmersham like this:
GODMERSHAM, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 miles SSW of Chilham r. station, and 6 NE by N of Ashford; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Canterbury. The parish comprises 3, 077 acres. Real property, £3, 429. Pop., 388. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. Godmersham Park, now the seat of Earl St. Vincent, belonged formerly to the Valoigns, the Astyns, and the Broadnaxes; and has richly wooded grounds. ...
The living is a vicarage united with the p. curacy of Challock, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £234. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church belonged to the prior and monks of Canterbury; had a chantry; and, having become much dilapidated, has been entirely restored. The prior's residence was built in the time of Richard II., and still exists. There are a national school, and charities £41.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Godmersham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ashford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Godmersham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godmersham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Godmersham".