In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farningham like this:
FARNINGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Dartford district, Kent. The village stands on the river Darent, in a fine valley between ridges of chalk hills, 1½ mile S by W of a station of its own name on the Mid Kent railway, and 4½ S of Dartford; was known at Domesday as Ferninghame; was once a market town; and has now a post office† under Dartford, a hotel, a four-arched bridge across the Darent, a monthly cattle market, and a fair on 15 Oct. The parish comprises 2, 708 acres. ...
Real property, £5, 232. Pop., 944. Houses, 151. The property is divided among a few. There were formerly paper-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is chiefly early English, with a later English tower; and has an octagonal, figured, later English font, a brass of a vicar of 1451, and four other brasses. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Roper's charity, shared also by other places, has £91; and other charities have £86.The sub-district contains eleven parishes. Acres, 22, 465. Pop., 6, 110. Houses, 1, 102.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Farningham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sevenoaks. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Farningham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farningham, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Farningham".