In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Detling like this:
DEBTLING, Deptling or Detling, a parish in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 2¾ miles NE of Maidstone. It has a post office under Maidstone. Acres, 1, 576. Real property, £2, 369. Pop., 344. Houses, 76. The manor belonged to the Debtlings and the Polhills. There are lime-pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £195.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was renovated in 1861; and an old wooden bell-tower was then replaced by a stone tower and a shingled spire.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Detling, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Detling ".