In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Detling like this:
DEBTLING, Deptling or Detling, a parish in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 2¾ miles NE of Maidstone. It has a post office under Maidstone. Acres, 1, 576. Real property, £2, 369. Pop., 344. Houses, 76. The manor belonged to the Debtlings and the Polhills. There are lime-pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £195.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was renovated in 1861; and an old wooden bell-tower was then replaced by a stone tower and a shingled spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Detling has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maidstone. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Detling and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Detling, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Detling".