In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barfreston like this:
BARFRESTON, or Barston, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; on the Dover and Canterbury railway, near Shepherd's Well station, and 6½ miles NW of Dover. Post town, Goodnestone, under Sandwich. Acres, 500. Real property, £641. Pop., 144. Houses, 26. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged early to the see of Canterbury; and passed, in 1081, to Hugh de Port, constable of Dover. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £182.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church consists of nave and chancel, separated by a circular arch; is one of the most remarkable structures of its class in England; exhibits rich exterior decorations, in corbels, wreaths, and other sculptures; and was well restored in 1840.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barfreston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barfreston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barfreston, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barfreston".