In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goldcliff like this:
GOLDCLIFF, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; on the coast of Bristol channel, 3 miles SSW of Llanwern r. station, and 4½ SE of Newport. Post town, Whitson, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 14, 262; of which 12, 065 are water. Real property, £5, 144. Pop., 250. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. Most of the land is part of Caldicott Level, protected from the sea by embankments. A silicious limestone cliff, about 60 feet high, rising over a great bed of yellow mica, breaks the level at the shore, has a glittering appearance under sunshine, and gave rise to the name Goldcliff. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1113, by Robert de Chandos; and was given, at the dissolution, to Eton College; but has left no vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £85. Patron, Eton College. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Goldcliff has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Goldcliff and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goldcliff, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Goldcliff".