In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garway like this:
GARWAY, a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Hereford; on the river Monnow, at the boundary with Monmouthshire, 5¼ miles SE of Pontrilas r. station, and 7¼ NNW of Monmouth. It has a post office, of the name of Garway-Common, under Ross. Acres, 3, 625. Real property, £3, 021. Pop., 585. Houses, 130. The scenery is very fine; and Garway hill is a conspicuous feature. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £81. Patron, Sir J. Bailey. The church is ancient; has a Saracenic chancel arch and a square tower; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £58.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Garway has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Garway and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garway in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Garway".