Place:


Shebbear  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shebbear like this:

SHEBBEAR, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Devon. The village stands near the river Torridge, 12½ miles S by W of Bideford r. station; and has a post-office under Highampton, North Devon. The parish comprises 5, 827 acres. Real property, £4, 363. Pop., 1, 109. ...


Houses, 219. The property is much sub-divided. The manor was anciently called Shepesbear; belonged early to the Barons of Okehampton; passed to the Nevilles, the Rolles, and Lord Clinton; and belongs now to P. A. Kingdon, Esq. The living is a vicarage-united with Sheepwash, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £334.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church ischiefly later English. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £104.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes, and is in Torrington district. Acres, 17, 666. Pop., 3,063. Houses, 600. The hundred contains 26 parishes. Acres, 73, 250. Pop. in 1851, 16,064; in 1861, 15, 726. Houses, 3, 194.

Shebbear through time

Shebbear is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shebbear itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shebbear, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5309

Date accessed: 23rd August 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shebbear ".