Place:


Piercebridge  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Piercebridge like this:

PIERSEBRIDGE, a village and a township in Gainford parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Tees at the boundary with Yorkshire, adjacent to the South Durham and Lancashire Union railway, 5 miles W by N of Darlington; occupies the site of the Romanstation Magæ or Magis, on Watling-street; and has a post-office under Darlington, and a r. ...


station with telegraph. A three-arched bridge here crosses the Tees; and was the scene of a skirmish, in 1644, between the royalists and the parliamentarians. A chapel was founded, at the end of the bridge, by King Baliol of Scotland. Asmall square camp is on the N side of the river; and a tumulus is on the S side. The township comprises 920 acres. Real property, £1, 321. Pop., 211. Houses, 54.

Piercebridge through time

Piercebridge is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Piercebridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Piercebridge, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5301

Date accessed: 22nd November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Piercebridge ".