In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holmer like this:
HOLMER, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 2 miles N of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford.-The township includes Shelwick hamlet, and bears the name of Holmer and Shelwick. Real property, £7, 504. Pop. in 1851, 618; in 1861, 1, 083. Houses, 213.The parish contains also the township of Huntington; and comprises 3, 069 acres. Real property, £8, 778. Pop. in 1851, 747; in 1861, 1, 237. ...
Houses, 242. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the operations of a Freehold Land society. The property of Holmer and Shelwick township is much subdivided; and that of Huntington is divided among three. Holmer Lodge, Westfield House, and Copelands are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Huntington, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £220.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The parochial church is ancient; comprises merely nave and chancel, with a tower; and looks to be early English, but wants distinctive features. The tower was recently in need of repair. The church of Huntington is modern and neat. Charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holmer has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holmer and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holmer in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holmer".