In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlwood like this:
CHARLWOOD, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; on an affluent of the river Mole, 3½ miles SW by W of Horley r. station, and 6½ S by W of Reigate. It has a post office under Crawley. Acres, 7,000. Real property, £6,668. Pop., 1,542. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. Charlwood Park and Charlwood Place are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £550.* Patron, H.Wise, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and was repaired in 1859. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school, and charities £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Charlwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mole Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Charlwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlwood, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charlwood".