Place:


Great Bookham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Bookham like this:

BOOKHAM (Great), a village and a parish in Epsom district, Surrey. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Leatherhead r. station, and 4 NW of Dorking; has a post office under Leatherhead; and formerly had a fair. The parish comprises 3,249 acres. Real property, £6,615. Pop., 1,106. Houses, 211. ...


The property is much subdivided. Bookham Grove is the seat of the Dawnays; Eastwick House was formerly the seat of the Howards; and Polesden, now the property of Sir Walter R. Farquhar, Bart., belonged to Sheridan. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £340.* Patron, Viscount Downe. The church has a monument to Sheriff Slyfield, of the time of Queen Elizabeth; and is good. Charities, £55. The rectory of Ranmore is a separate benefice.

Great Bookham through time

Great Bookham is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Bookham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Bookham, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5278

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Bookham ".