In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coundon like this:
COUNDON, a township and a chapelry in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham. The township lies adjacent to the Stockton railway, 2 miles ESE of Bishop-Auckland; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 584. Real property, £4, 725; of which £2, 205 are in mines. Pop., 2, 765. Houses, 534. The chapelry was constituted-in 1842. Pop., 3, 095. Houses, 608. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coundon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wear Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coundon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coundon, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coundon".