In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hythe like this:
Hythe.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, water ing-place, and Cinque Port, E. Kent, 68 miles SE. of London - parl. bor. (including Folkestone, 5 miles E.), 13, 591 ac., pop. 28,239; mun. bor., 2517 ac., pop. 4173; 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Leland says that Hythe at one time had four parish churches and a fine abbey: that itwas formerly a place of some importance is further proved by its having been made one of the Cinque Ports. Its falling off is due to the harbour having been choked with sand and shingle. The town is pleasantly situated, and has some interesting antiquities; is well known through the Government School of Muskctry, the rifle butts, &c.; and has two forts, viz., Sutherland and Moncreiff. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hythe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hythe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hythe, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hythe".