In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felling like this:
FELLING, a large village and a chapelry in Yarrow parish, Durham. The village stands on the Northeastern railway, 1½ mile SE of Gateshead; increased recently from two hamlets to its present condition; is maintained by factories and by mining operations; connects with Felling-Shore, a coal-shipping place on the Tyne; and has a post office‡ under Gateshead, a r. station, a church built in 1866, four dissenting chapels, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The chapelry was constituted in 1866. Pop., 5, 105. The living is a vicarage. Value, £300. Patrons, Five Trustees.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Felling has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gateshead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Felling and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Felling, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Felling".