In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wherwell like this:
WHERWELL, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Hants. The village stands 1¼ mile NE of Fullerton-Bridge r. station, and 3½ SSE of Andover; and has a post-office under Andover, and a fair on 24 Sept.The parish contains Fullerton and Westover tythings, comprises 3,546 acres, and is in Andover district. Rated property, £3,651. Pop., 626. Houses, 124. W. Park is the seat of W. Iremonger, Esq. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here by Elfrida, the widow of King Edgar; was given, at the dissolution, to the first Lord Delawarr; and passed to the Iremongers. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £304.* Patron, W. Iremonger, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1859. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a village school. -The hundred contains six parishes, and is in .Andover division. Acres, 16,909. Pop. in 1851, 2,524. Houses, 524.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wherwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wherwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wherwell, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wherwell".