Place:


Knights Enham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knights Enham like this:

ENHAM (Knight's), a parish in Andover district, Hants; near the Southwestern railway, 2 miles NNW of Andover. Post town, Andover. Acres, 787. Real property, with King's Enham, £3, 571. Pop., 159. Houses, 32. Six Roman roads intersect the parish; and recent researches have brought to light here, on land occupied by Mr.-Biggs, the walls of a Roman camp, the sites of more than one Roman villa of more than ordinary magnitude, coins of Antoninus and Constantine, and numerous fragments of tesseræ, Samian ware, vases, pottery, and tiles. ...


Here perhaps and not at Farnham, East Sherborne, or Whitchurch, as antiquaries have variously supposed was the Roman town Indium or Vindomis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £208.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is good. An endowed school has £27; and other charities £25.

Knights Enham through time

Knights Enham is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knights Enham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knights Enham, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5168

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knights Enham ".