In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wallasey like this:
WALLASEY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Wirral district, Cheshire. The village stands 3½ miles NNW of Birkenhead r. station, and has a post-office under Birkenhead. The township extends to the coast; and comprises 1,780 acres of land, and 10,690 of water. Real property, £5,599. Pop. in 1851, 1,195; in 1861, 1,415. Houses, 264. The property is much subdivided. There are many good residences. Leasowe Castle is a prominent feature; and has been separately noticed. A light-house is on the N coast; and has been twice removed inland in consequence of encroachment by the sea. ...
Submerged remains exist of an ancient forest; and some very interesting animal fossils have been found.The parish includes also the townships of Liscard and Poulton-with-Seacombe; includes the towns of New Brighton and Egremont; and is bounded, on the S, by a creek of the Mersey, called Wallasey Pool, along the N margin of Birkenhead. Acres, 17,775. Pop. in 1851, 8,339; in 1861, 10,723. Houses, 1,804. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £500.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church was rebuilt in 1865. The vicarage of New Brighton, and the p. curacies of Liscard and Seacombe are now separate benefices. There are several dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £94 a year, and charities £25.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wallasey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wirral. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wallasey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wallasey, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wallasey".