In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlborough like this:
BARLBOROUGH, a parish in the district of Work sop and county of Derby; near the Chesterfield canal, 2 miles E of Eckington r. station, and 8 NE of Chesterfield. It has a post office under Chesterfield. Acres, 3,220. Real property, £7,029; of which £1,738 are in mines. Pop., 1,170. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. Barlborough Hall, an edifice in the Tudor style, is the seat of W. H. de Rodes, Esq. Coal and iron stone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £750.* Patron, W. H. de Rodes, Esq. The church was repaired in 1859. Au almshouse, founded in 1752, has £69, and other charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barlborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bolsover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barlborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlborough, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barlborough".