In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Holyhead like this:
Holyhead, seaport town and par., on north side of Holyhead Island, Anglesey, 24 miles NW. of Bangor, 60 miles from Dublin, and 261 miles from London - par., 7988 ac. (540 water), pop. 9689; seaport, 330 ac., pop. 8680; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The port possesses 2 fine harbours of refuge for ships of all sizes. Its prosperity is dne to the extensive railway and steamboat traffic, mainly supported by the Dublin mail packets and the London and North-Western Railway. The passage to Dublin takes about 4 hours. At the outer end of the breakwater is a fixed light (Holyhead) 66 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles. Holyhead united with Beaumaris, Amlwch, and Llangefni in returning 1 member till 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holyhead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of the Isle of Anglesey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holyhead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holyhead in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holyhead".