Place:


Aikton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aikton like this:

AIKTON, a township and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The township lies E of the Wampool river, 2¾ miles ESE of Kirkbride r. station, and 4 NNE of Wigton. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 284. Houses, 58. The parish includes also the townships of Wampool, Wiggonby, Biglands, and Gamblesby. Post Town, Wigton. Acres, 6,157. Real property, £7,299. Pop., 806. Houses, 154. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £546.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is small and old. Charities, £176.

Aikton through time

Aikton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aikton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aikton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5061

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aikton ".