In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kintbury like this:
KINTBURY, or KENTBURY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Hungerford district, Berks. The village stands on the river Kennet, the Kennet and Avon canal, and the Great Western railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Hungerford; was anciently called Kennetbury; had formerly a weekly market and two fairs; and has now a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Hungerford.The parish includes the tythings of Holt and Barton, and comprises 7, 645 acres. Real property, £13, 383. ...
Pop., 1,802. Houses, 387. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Kintbury-Amesbury was given, by Queen Elfrida, to the nuns of Amesbury; went, in 1542, to John Cheyne; passed to the Darrells and others; and, in 1832, gave the title of Baron Amesbury of Kintbury-Amesbury toDundas, Esq. The manor of Kintbury-Holt belonged to Robert Bossu, Earl of Leicester; was given by him to the nuns of Eaton; and belongs now to the Earl of Craven. The manors of Denford belonged formerly to the Longespees, Earls of Salisbury; and belong now to G.Cherry, Esq. Holt Lodge is the seat of General J. Butler; Hollymount, of Job Buckeridge, Esq.; Forberry Grove, of E. J. Alderman, Esq.; Barton Court, of Rev. J. D. Dundas; Barrymore, of Capt. Read; Inglewood, of W. Dunn, Esq.; Mount Pleasant, of D. Taylor, Esq.; Wormstall, ofVickers, Esq.; and Elcot Park, of the Misses Shelley. Saxon coins were found in 1762. The making of bricks and whiting is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. D. Dundas. The church is ancient; has a tower; and contains monuments of the Darrells and others. The p. curacy of Denford is a separate benefice, constituted in 1833. A new church, for another separate charge, was built at Crossway in 1866; is in the decorated English style; and has, at the SW angle, an entrance tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £20.- subdistrict contains also three other parishes electorally in Berks, two in Wilts, one in Hants, and one in Berks and Wilts. Acres, 23, 733. Pop., 4, 398. Houses, 941.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kintbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kintbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kintbury in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kintbury".