In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Davenham like this:
DAVENHAM, a township and a parish in Northwich district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, near the Trent and Mersey canal, 1½ mile E by N of Hartford r. station, and 2 S of Northwich; and has a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 15 April and 15 Oct. Acres, 479. Real property, £2, 005. Pop., 518. Houses, 109. The parish contains also the townships of Rudheath, Shipbrook, Newhall, Whatcroft, Bostock, Stanthorne, Wharton, Moulton, Eaton, Leftwich, and Shurlach. ...
Acres, 9, 449. Real property, £43, 209. Pop., 6, 855. Houses, 1, 397. The property is much sub-divided. Brine pits are here. An action was fought, in 1643, at Rudheath, between the royalists and the parliamentarians. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £727.* Patron, James F. France, Esq. The church is very good. The vicarages of Wharton and Dane-Bridge are separate benefices. There are two Independent chapels, three Methodist chapels, three national schools, and charities £71.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Davenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Davenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Davenham, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Davenham".