In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Grimsby like this:
Grimsby, or Great Grimsby, parl. and mun. bor., seaport, and par., N. Lincolnshire, near the mouth of r. Humber, 15 m. SE. of Hull and 155 m. from London -- parl. bor., 16,330 ac., pop. 45,351; mun. bor. and par., 1737 ac., pop. 28,503; 2 Banks, 4 newspapers.Market-day, Frid. Although Grimsby is an ancient town, much of its modern progress is due to its suitability as a fishing station for the North Sea fleets, and to the facilities offered by the railway for the conveyance of the fish to populous centres. ...
Five Hull trawlers made the town their headquarters in 1858, and since that year it has become the most important fishing port in Britain. It has large docks, and conducts an important direct trade with the Continent. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Shipbuilding, cordage mfr., flaxmills. tanneries, and breweries form leading industries. At NW. end of Middle Shoals, in mouth of Humber, is a light-vessel, with fixed light (Grimsby) seen 7 miles. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grimsby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North East Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grimsby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimsby in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grimsby".