In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Odell like this:
ODELL, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, 1¼ mile E N E of Harrold, and 2½ W by S of Sharnbrook r. station; was originally called Woodhill, now corrupted into Odell; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2, 980 acres. Real property, £3, 295. Pop. in 1851, 538; in 1861, 494. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Alston, Esq. Odell Castle is the residence of G. ...
Repton, Esq., and Lady Jane Repton; stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; has extensive and tasteful pleasure-grounds; and succeeded an old seat of the Brays. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £396.* Patron,Alston, Esq. The church is later English, in good condition, overgrown with ivy; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains a good old screen, and some monuments of the Alstons. There are national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Odell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bedford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Odell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Odell, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Odell".