In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flitwick like this:
FLITWICK, a parish in Ampthill district, Beds; on the river Ivel, 2¾ miles S by W of Ampthill, and 4¼ SE of Lidlington r. station. Post town, Ampthill. Acres, 1, 700. Real property, £3, 379. Pop., 773. Houses, 167. The property is divided among a few. Flitwick House is the seat of J. T. Brooks, Esq. A small priory, a cell to Dunstable abbey, was founded at Rokesac here in 1170, by Philip de Sannerville. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £230.* Patron, J. T. Brooks, Esq. The church is good; and there is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Flitwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Bedfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Flitwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flitwick in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Flitwick".