In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunkirk like this:
DUNKIRK, an extra-parochial ville, which is also a chapelry, in Faversham district, Kent; 1¾ mile NE of Selling r. station, and 2½ W by N of Canterbury. Post town, Boughton, under Faversham. Acres, 4, 620. Real property, £4, 150. Pop., 721. Houses, 146. The land formerly was part of Blean forest; and a large portion of it now belongs to the dean and chapter of Canterbury. The name Dunkirk was first given to it, about the middle of last century, by a body of squatters, who took free or forcible possession of the land, and who became notable for smuggling practices. ...
Many of the persons implicated in the extraordinary outbreak of 1838, connected with Sir William Courtenay or Thoms, were inhabitants of Dunkirk. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £113.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a flint structure, with a tower; and was built after the outbreak of 1838.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dunkirk has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dunkirk and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunkirk, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dunkirk".