In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skelsmergh like this:
SKELSMERGH, a township in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; 2 miles NE of Kendal. Real property, with Patton, £6,675. Pop. of S. alone, 325. Houses, 55. There are corn, worsted, and bobbin mills, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Skelsmergh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Skelsmergh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skelsmergh, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Skelsmergh".