In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Liddington like this:
LIDDINGTON, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands 2 miles S by E of Uppingham, and 2½ W by S of Seaton r. station; is very ancient; was formerly a market-town, and of much larger size than now; and has a post office under Uppingham. The parish comprises 2,020 acres. Real property, £4,543. Pop., 613. Houses, 138. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The custom of borough English prevails. Liddington House is the seat of T. J. Bryan, Esq. ...
A palace of the bishops of Lincoln stood here; was converted, in 1602, into an hospital for a warden, 12 men and 2 women, with endowment now yielding £116 a year; and the hall of it still stands, shows features of ancient splendour, and retains its old painted glass windows. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Caldicott, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £420. * Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and short spire; and contains an ancient screen and some well-preserved brasses. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with about £10 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Liddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rutland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Liddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Liddington in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Liddington".