In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hawarden like this:
Hawarden (pronounced Harden), market town, par., and township, Flintshire, on affluent of river Dee, 8 miles SW. of Chester and 186 miles NW. of London - par., 17,302 ac., pop. 9387; township, 15,000 ac., pop. 7087; P.O., T.O. Coarse earthenware, tiles, and bricks are its mfrs. The nearest sta. is Queensferry, 1½ mile N. In the vicinity is Hawarden Castle, the seat of the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone, M.P.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hawarden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hawarden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawarden in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hawarden".