In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gwaunysgor like this:
GWAENYSGOR, a parish in Holywell district, Flint; near the coast, 1½ mile SE of Prestatyn r. station, and 3¾ E by N of Rhyl. It includes the townships of Hwylbren, Garnedd, and Llan; and its post town is Prestatyn, under Rhyl. Acres, 794. Real property , £1, 159. Pop., 322. Houses, 73. The property is divided among three. The surface is hilly; and the rocks include coal and lead ore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £178.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gwaunysgor has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gwaunysgor and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gwaunysgor in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gwaunysgor".