In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewyas Harold like this:
EWYAS-HAROLD, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on an affluent of the river Monnow, 1¼ mile NW of Pontrilas r. station, and 11½ SW of Hereford. Post town, Pontrilas, under Hereford. Acres, 1,838. Real property, £1, 895. Pop., 407. Houses, 88. The property is much subdivided. A castle was built here by King Harold, but has disappeared. A small priory of black monks, a cell to Gloucester abbey, also was founded here about 1100. Ewyas was formerly a lordship, extending to the vale of Honddu beyond the Black mountains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, 110.* Patron, Bishop of G. and B The church dates from the 14th century, and is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ewyas Harold has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ewyas Harold and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewyas Harold in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ewyas Harold".