In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bridstow like this:
BRIDSTOW, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the River Wye, adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, 1 mile W by N of Ross. Post Town, Ross. Acres, 2,199. Real property, £5,506. Pop., 717. Houses, 143. Wilton Castle here is an old seat of the Lords Grey de Wilton, burnt in the civil wars, and now an ivy-clad ruin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £276.* Patron, the Bishop of Hereford.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bridstow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bridstow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridstow in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bridstow".