In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Rainton like this:
RAINTON (East), a township and a chapelry in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durhamshire. The township lies 2 miles N E of Leamside-Junction r. station, and 5 N E by N of Durham. Post-town, Fence-Houses. Acres, 1,065. Real property, £5, 870; of which £829are in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 1, 695; in 1861, 1, 505. Houses, 339. Most of the inhabitants are miners. The chapelry comprises part of E. R. township and all Moors-ley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1866; is in the early decorated English style; and has a bell-turret. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Rainton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sunderland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Rainton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Rainton, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Rainton".