In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton le Moors like this:
CLAYTON-LE-MOORS, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, at Whalley station, 5½ miles NE of Blackburn. Post town, Whalley, under Blackburn. Acres, 950. Real property, £12, 184; of which £350 are in quarries. Pop., 4, 682. Houses, 902. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £120.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern. There are Baptist and R. Catholic chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clayton le Moors has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hyndburn. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clayton le Moors and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton le Moors, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clayton le Moors".