In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilsington like this:
ILSINGTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands under Haytor mountain, 7 miles NW of Newton-Abbot r. station; and adjoins the quondam Silverbrook lead and zinc mine. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cold East, Harford, Haytor-Vale, Bagtor-Vale, Liverton, Sigford, and South Knighton. Post town, Newton-Abbot. Acres, 7, 563. Real property, £5, 597; of which £30 are in mines. Pop., 1, 209. Houses, 239. The property is much subdivided. One manor belongs to H. ...
Monro, Esq., and another to the Duke of Somerset. A ruined old manor house, which was the seat of the Dinhams and the Arundells, is near the Church. Ingsdon is the seat ofH. Monro, Esq.; and Bagtor House is the seat of Lord Cranstone. The Haytor granite works are within the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £313.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a very large and handsome carved screen. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £21 a year, and other charities £77.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ilsington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teignbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ilsington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilsington, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ilsington".