In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheldon like this:
SHELDON, a township-chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby; 3 miles W of Bakewell r. station. Post town, Bakewell. Acres, 1,033. Real property, £1,079. Pop., 178. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church was rebuilt in 1865. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sheldon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derbyshire Dales. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sheldon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheldon in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sheldon".