In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakley like this:
CHURCH-OAKLEY, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, at Oakley station, 4½ miles WSW of Basingstoke. It has a post office under Basingstoke. Acres, 1, 605. Real property, £2, 943. Pop., 287. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. Oakley Hall is the seat of W. W. B. Beath, Esq.; and Malshanger House, of S. Portal, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £311.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and was recently enlarged and repaired; and it contains a monument of Archbishop Warham, who was born at Malshanger House.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oakley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oakley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakley, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oakley".