In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nursling like this:
NURSLING, or Nutshalling, a village and a parish in Romsey district, Hants. The village stands on the river Anton, adjacent to the Andover and Southampton railway, 2 miles N by W of Redbridge r. station, and 3 S by E of Romsey; is the Knutscilling of the Life of St. Boniface; and has a post-office, of the name of Nursling, under Southampton. The parish contains also part of Rownham chapelry, and comprises 2, 124 acres. Real property, £5, 424. Pop. in 1851, 1,024; in 1861, 947. Houses, 209. ...
The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged before the Norman Conquest to the Bishop of winchester. Grove Place was a hunting-seat of Queen Elizabeth. A small Benedictine monasterywas founded in the parish at the close of the 7th century, disappeared before the Norman conquest, and probably was destroyed by the Northmen. There is an ancient entrenchment. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £550.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is chiefly transition Norman, includes later additions, has a tower with wooden spire, and contains a monument to the Mill family. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nursling has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nursling and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nursling, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nursling".