In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Eton like this:
Eton, town and par., on S. border of Bucks, on left bank of river Thames, opposite Windsor (with which it is connected by a bridge), and 21 miles SW. of London -- par., 786 ac. (23 water), pop. 3984; town, pop. 3464; P.O., T.O. Eton is known chiefly for its college (founded by Henry VI. in 1440), one of the great public schools, at which some of the most celebrated men of England have been educated. The original structure, begun in 1441, and finished in 1523, has received large additions during the present century. ...
The foundation comprises a provost and 10 fellows; a head master, and a second master; and 70 "collegers, " or scholars on the foundation. Besides these there are between 800 and 900 "oppidans, " who lodge outside the college. The annual income, originally a few hundreds, is now upwards of £20,000. The population of the parish includes Eton College; the entire town is included in the parliamentary limits of Windsor.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Windsor and Maidenhead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eton, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eton".