In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oulton like this:
OULTON, a parish, with a village, in Aylsham district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 3½ miles W N W of Aylsham, and 11 E N E of Elmham r. station. Post-town, Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1,849. Real property, £2,028. Pop., 357. Houses, 76. The property is divided chiefly among three. Oulton Hall was the seat of the late T. Bell, Esq. Oulton Lodge is the residence of Mr. A. H. Trethewy, agent to the Marquis of Lothian. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £153. Patron, the Rev. S. Cooke. The church is good, and has a tower. An Independent chapel here was built in 1725; and has a neat residencefor its minister and a graveyard.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oulton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Broadland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oulton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oulton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oulton".