In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catton like this:
CATTON, a village and a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands on high ground, amid pleasant environs, 2 miles N of Norwich; contains several large ancient houses; and has a post office under Norwich. The parish comprises 895 acres. Real property, £4,306. Pop., 646. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to Archbishop Stigand; and was given, afterwards, to Norwich cathedral. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £142. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church is early and perpendicular English; has a round tower, surmounted by an octagon; and contains a rich monument to T. G. Adams, Esq. There are a free school and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Catton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Broadland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Catton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Catton".