In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stetchworth like this:
STETCHWORTH, a parish, with a village, in Newmarket district, Cambridge; 1½ mile E of Dullingham r. station, and 3¼ S of Newmarket. It has a post-office under Newmarket. Acres, 2,824. Real property, £3,506. Pop., 671. Houses, 147. The manor belongs to H. F. Eaton, Esq. S. House is the seat of S. Y. Benyon, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Elv. Value £200.* Patron, H. F. Eaton, Esq. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stetchworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stetchworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stetchworth in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stetchworth".