In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irthlingborough like this:
IRTHLINGBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the river Nen, and near Higham-Ferrers r. station, 2 miles N of Higham-Ferrers; is popularly called Artleboro'; consists chiefly of one street, nearly 17hr. mile long; carries on trade in the making of boots and shoes, parchment, and lace; and has a post office‡ under Higham-Ferrers. The parish comprises 3, 720 acres. Real property, £8, 370. Pop. in 1851, 1, 577; in 1861, 1,800. ...
Houses, 407. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Some remains exist of a secular college, founded in the time of Edward III., by Lord Mayor Pyel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £266. Patron, the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is ancient; presents some interesting features; and has a fine octagonal tower, surmounted by a turret. A stone cross, 13 feet high on steps, is near the church. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £87.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Irthlingborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Irthlingborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irthlingborough in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Irthlingborough".