Place:


Thursby Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thursby like this:

THURSBY, a township and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The township lies 1 mile N of Curthwaite r. station, and 4¾ ENE of Wigton; is said to have got its name from a temple of Thor; and has a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 1,382. Real property, £3,223. Pop., 366. Houses, 84. The parish includes two other townships, and comprises 2,984 acres. Pop., 588. Houses, 127. The property is much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church was rebuilt in 1846. There are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £13.

Thursby through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thursby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thursby and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thursby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4617

Date accessed: 20th December 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thursby".