In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton like this:
BARTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on a tributary of the Cam river, and on the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 3 miles SW of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 1,812. Real property, £3,803. Pop., 324. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £156. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church has a brass of 1593, and is good. The rectorial tithes were given to Merton priory.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton".