In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birkenshaw like this:
BIRKENSHAW, a railway station, two hamlets, and a chapelry in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The station bears the name of Birkenshaw and Tong; and is on the Gildersome branch of the Leeds and Halifax railway, 4½ miles SE of Bradford. The hamlets are Birkenshaw and Birkenshaw-Bottom; and stand near the r. station, within Gomersal township; and the former has a post office under Leeds. The chapelry bears the name of Birkenshaw-cum-Hunsworth; and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 3,633. Houses, 756. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in collieries and woollen-mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Birstall. The church was built in 1829. There are a U. Free Methodist chapel, a mechanics' institute, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birkenshaw has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birkenshaw and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birkenshaw, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birkenshaw".