In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Mollington like this:
MOLLINGTON (GREAT), or M. TARRANT, a township, with a straggling village, in Backford parish, Cheshire; on the Ellesmere canal, and on the Chester and Birkenhead railway, at Mollington r. station, 2½ miles NNW of Chester. Acres, 821. Real property, £1,296. Pop., 186. Houses, 30. Mollington Hall is the seat of John Feilden, Esq.; and stands in a beautiful park, with a fine sheet of water.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Mollington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Mollington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Mollington, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Mollington".