Place:


Ashendon  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashendon like this:

ASHENDON, a parish and a hundred in Bucks. The parish is in Aylesbury district, near the Julian way, 7½ miles W of Aylesbury r. station; and includes the hamlet of Pollicot. Post Town, Brill under Tetsworth. Acres, 1,790. Real property, £3,498. Pop., 325. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor of Ashendon has been held for centuries by the Grenvilles. The manor of Little Pollicot was given about the year 1479 by John Bucktot, a priest, to one of the colleges of Oxford. Ashendon figures repeatedly in the wars of the heptarchy, and claims against Ashdown to have been the scene of Alfred's victory in 871. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Dorton, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £106. Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church contains the tomb of a crusader, and is good.-The hundred is bounded on the SW and the W by Oxfordshire; and contains twenty-seven parishes and parts of four others. Acres, 63,683. Pop. in 1851, 13,369; in 1861, 13,389. Houses, 2,956.

Ashendon through time

Ashendon is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashendon, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4548

Date accessed: 21st February 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashendon ".