In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Speen like this:
SPEEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newbury district, Berks. The village stands on Icknield-street, 1½ mile NW of Newbury r. station; occupies the site of the Roman station Spinæ; and has a post-office under Newbury. The parish includes the chapelries of Speenhamland and Stockcross, and the tythings of Bagnor, Church-Speen, Marsh-Benham, and Wood-Speen. Acres, 3,780. Rated property, £10,706. Pop., 3,311. Houses, 718. The property is much subdivided. S. manor belongs to Earl Craven; and Church-S. ...
manor to H. Best, Esq. Benham Park was the residence of the Margrave of Anspach. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of b. The church was rebuilt in 1860. The p. curacies of.Speenhamland and Stockcross are separate benefices. Charities, £38.The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 21,108. Pop., 7,580. Houses, 1,668.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Speen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Speen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Speen in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Speen".